© 1972, The Beate Klarsfeld Foundation
Previous Page Back  Contents  Contents Page 44 Home Page Home Page  Forward Next Page 
[super…] intendent, who had heard of me, sent for my briefcase from the checkroom where I had left it. He kept me for three hours, then released me.

The next day the German newspapers printed pictures of me brandishing my fists, which pleased the leftists, or being muzzled by the sergeant-at-arms, which signified that truth was being repressed in Germany. All the papers, of course, commented on Kiesinger's Nazi past and on the documentary evidence I had assembled. I had reached my goal. The wall of silence was crumbling.

I knew I had risked a fine or a jail term with a suspended sentence, but there were no penalties. The authorities had apparently decided that it was better not to call any further attention to the incident.

Once or twice a week a few young Germans would attend meetings in an apartment near place de la Contrescarpe in Paris. They had formerly belonged to the Social Democratic Party, but were considered too radical and had been expelled. Consequently, they had joined Dutschke's SDS. They wanted to make contact with French students.

During one of the meetings we learned of the attempt on Rudi Dutschke's life, and late that same evening in April 1968, we decided to organize a protest demonstration in Paris. Alain Krivine and his friends supported us by having pamphlets printed. I made banners in my apartment.

We had agreed to meet at the corner of avenue Montaigne and rue François I, and demonstrate before the German Embassy. I was astonished to find a thousand students there, but also about one dozen vans of the National Security Police. There were lots of red flags. This first large demonstration was to herald the coming explosion in May.

The young people were shouting: "Springer is a murderer!" Some French students were waving signs reading: "Kiesinger is a Nazi." I was amazed. Could my campaign at last be bearing fruit?

After brief speeches by Krivine and Daniel Cohn-Bendit, the demonstration officially broke up, but it was whispered about that it would move over to the Latin Quarter. We took the Metro in small groups. Once we got there, we were surprised to find a large number of security police, helmeted and armed. I had given my banners to a young German student, who stashed them in a base- […ment]
© 1972, The Beate Klarsfeld Foundation
Previous Page  Back Page 44 Forward  Next Page