Reconstruction of the Living Camp (Continued)
The Stone Tower
Among the many puzzles of Treblinka is the stone tower captured on another Kurt Franz snapshot. This structure appears in Figure 23, apparently in the final stages of its construction. In the foreground is Kurt Seidel Street. The tower's function may have been to remedy a weakness in the camp's security. There was no guard tower overlooking the northwestern side. It may have been intended for the tower to plug this gap, while at the same time keeping the workforce busy. The Moorish appearance
of the structure may be the result of Stangl's decorative instincts. Like many of the images from the album, a close examination yields unexpected bonuses: in this picture one can see the security fence-line, the rail line, and the cross beams of the Spanish horse antitank barrier. In Figure 24, an enlargement of the snapshot appears above the aerial photograph. The approximate location of the camera station and of the coverage of the ground shot has been plotted on the latter. The men in the photograph are all Jewish prisoners. The hand- drawn cart next to the tower is probably the same one that can be seen in the ground picture of the zoo in Figure 16.
Living Camp Summary
Figures 25 and 26 are a graphic summation of the findings. Figure 25 was photographed in September of 1944 and Figure 26 in May of that same year.
The annotations are keyed to Table 1. In the figure, the dark colored buildings represent those structures in which there is a low level of confidence either in their placement or their identity. The two Ukrainian barracks are so noted because there were only glimpses of them in the Kurt Franz snapshots, and there are no remains of their footprints in the aerial photography. The other two structures (Number 16) are expressed as scars on the September aerial coverage. They appear to have had shallow foundation excavations.